Alright so here's the deal, I'm Hannah, known to some followers online as Harruka.
I'm an artist by choice web and graphic designer by trade and I work part time in a comic book store.
The purpose of this blog is to showcase my art, showcase webdesign and reviewing comics.
So let's start with a review of new comics that I found interesting this week:
Saga - Independent of the Week
Saga just looks very cool. It's really the best way I can describe it, the art is sketchy and fun, with imaginative character design and lots of back grounds that really make it feel very Guillermo Del Toro-ish.
The story-line is set in a galaxy where a world has been at war with it's own moon for generations upon generation, but knowing one could not destroy the other with out disrupting their own ecosystem they moved their war to other planets.
In the midst of this a female soldier from the planet, and a male soldier from the moon meet while he is in a war camp and the two of them run away together, get married and of course have a baby which is where the story starts, them giving birth.
For an issue one it gave a lot of story, and threw you right into the characters with out much introduction, but it feels like it's going to shape up to be a great adventure story with a very cool grown up twist.
I personally can't wait for the next issue.
Journey Into Myster - Marvel of the Week
Though it was a close tie between Journey into Mystery and Avengers Journey claimed it by the sheer fact that we got to see a side of Loki we all know, and weren't expecting given the content of this arc so far.
Even though I did enjoy the conversation between the President and Cap. in the Avengers I'm tired of seeing Norman Osborn pirate the powers of the other super heroes, and the end was very kishy when all the avengers past and present teamed up to give all their powers to Osborn so he'd die. Which brings me back Journey into Mystery.
In the previous issue we learned that Loki would die due to the dream content of the Nightmare Lord in his mind. A residual effect of fear from the Fear It's Self arc, which to me seems like Marvel is trying it's hardest to validate.
For Loki to help his band of misfits save the other sleepers he has to stay awake for what they describe as multiple nights and days through exhausting magical exorcisms.
The entire issue seemed a little slow which has seemed to be the case for most of Marvel's titles this week but it was the last few pages that really caught my interest, Loki in Loki fashion sells out his friends to save himself.
For most people who haven't been following the series this is a totally expecting move, but for those of us who thought there might be some hope for Loki it's both a pleasant and saddening surprise. I personally had hope that Loki would become a shining Hero only to be turned in his adolescence, but I'm not at all upset by this outcome, in fact I'm quite excited to see where they'll be taking this title.
Bat Girl - DC of the Week
While again of the main stream comics I was caught in a tie between Batgirl and Batwoman I found my self enjoying Barbra Gordan's story a lot more this week.
Bat Girl is dealing with some serious stuff in this issue, and I love it.
I enjoyed that the bad guys and the fights were all just subtext to the story of Barbra Gordan's survivors guilt, how she is dealing with coming back from being paralyzed and how she's not sure she can be who she was.
It really does personify a female super hero in the way that she is raging with emotions that we often see left out on their male counterparts.
While DC's complex time line with the Bat Family is hard to keep up with if your only just jumping in at issue 7 it is still early enough to catch up on the new 52s and Batgirl is a title you should certainly keep up with.
So that's it for reviews this week. Be sure to tune in same time, same station for more reviews, and hopefully through out the week I'll post some art and other such paraphernalia.
- H
No comments:
Post a Comment